The Canadian Super Visa was introduced in the year 2011 and there were thousands of applications from foreign nationals looking forward to reuniting with their children and grandchildren. The Canadian Super Visa allows parents & grandparents to visit their children or grandchildren who live in Canada. As of 18th June 2018, holders of Canadian Super Visa can stay in the country for a period of up to two years beyond which it needs extensions and it should be for one year. This was up to six months previously.
Who is Eligible to Obtain a Canada Super Visa?
The Canada Parents and Grandparents Super Visa can be obtained by individuals whose children or grandchildren reside in Canada as a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident visa holder.
The Requirements to Obtain a Canadian Super Visa: –
• An individual in order to obtain a Canadian Super Visa should meet the following requirements and produce the below-listed documents:
• The applicant should have received a Letter of Invitation from his/her child or grandchild who is residing in Canada.
• Documents stating that the child or grandchild meets the Low-Income Cut Off should be produced.
• Proof that the individual’s relationship with the sponsoring person is legitimate should be produced. This can be proved by showing birth certificates.
• The applicant should have a medical insurance coverage for at least one year and proof for the same should be produced. The medical insurance should be as such that it covers the below specifications:
– The insurance should cover health care & hospitalization
– The insurance should provide a minimum coverage of $ 100,000
– The insurance should be valid when the applicant makes his entry to Canada every single time.
• The applicant should undergo a medical examination.
• A letter from the children/grandchildren’s employer stating their job, description & salary should be produced.
• The child/grandchild must provide proof which demonstrates that they are either a Canadian Citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.
Other Things to Know About Canadian Super Visa: –
• An individual who holds a Super Visa is not allowed to work in Canada
• Under this visa, the spouse or common-law partner of the applicant becomes eligible to come to Canada, but it should be noted that dependants cannot come to Canada under this visa.
• Applicants whose permanent resident applications are under progress can also apply for this visa.
• The Immigration officials look into several factors before approving the application. Some of the factors include:
– The applicant’s ties to his/her home country.
– The purpose of the applicant’s visit.
– Family & financial status of the applicant.
• During the year, 2016 the Canadian government issued around 17,327 super visas out of which a majority of them were females.
• Obtaining a Canadian Super Visa allows the visa holder to enter multiple times into Canada for a period of up to 10 years.
The Canadian Super Visa since its introduction has paved the path for a lot of parents & grandparents to reunify with their families. Get in touch with our immigration consultants to know more about the Canadian Super Visa and check your eligibility for free!