We are back with yet another edition of most frequently asked questions on immigration to Canada. This edition of Canada immigration FAQs is focussed on working in Canada.

  1. Is job offer a mandatory requirement for immigration to Canada under the Skilled Worker/Professional category?

Surprisingly not! Interested applicants can qualify for a permanent residence in Canada even without a Canadian job offer. However, a job offer from a Canadian employer may fetch some additional points under the federal Express Entry immigration selection system. 

Applicants under the Quebec Skilled Worker category and some of the Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs) do not require a Canadian job offer in order to qualify!


  1. What are the advantages of obtaining a permanent job offer from a Canadian employer?

A job offer supported by a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) is awarded an additional 50 or 200 points under the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS), depending on the position offered. 

It is also to note that CRS points bonus does not guarantee an invitation to apply whereas the applicants are only more likely to be issued an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for permanent residence at a subsequent Express Entry draw.  Take this free assessment to know your best chances of immigrating to Canada.  


  1. What is a work permit?

Authorization for employment in Canada or Work visas are known as work permits in Canada. A work permit is a document issued by officials of the Canadian Government that allows a foreign individual to work at a specific job for a specific employer.


  1. Can I change my employer on the same work permit to Canada? 

Generally, work permits apply to a single employer. The applicant is required to apply for a new work permit to change the employer. 

However, workers admitted to Canada on an open work permit can change employer without reapplying. An open work permit may be available to the spouses/common-law partners of certain work permit holders, the spouses/common-law partners of foreign students in Canada, in-land sponsored family members in Canada.

Contact your Canada Immigration Consultant to know more about your prospects of working and settling permanently in Canada.  

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.